15 September 2012

Oded Ezer Could Be Your Type



Update: I replaced the video since I seemed to have a broken link. Start at 0:42

Do you think about Hebrew typefaces very much? I sort of do. I've complained or at least thought that Hebrew fonts were lacking something. But it's not as if I could really, like, read very well. Maybe reading a different script is just inherently fatiguing.

Of course, I was introduced to it in the mid-1990s, and Israel's visual culture has changed since then, as evidenced by the work of Oded Ezer. Yes, a cursory googling of  "Hebrew typography"reveals the field doesn't begin and end with Ezer, but, I don't see anyone else wearing a mohawk of stylized typeface--so, there we are.

I started this post earlier this summer, and, like so many other things, it kind of got hung up. But Hebrew typefaces are again on my mind because I'm taking History of Books and Print Culture from Prof. Jonathan Senchyne and must needs find a topic for my seminar paper. Which means decide between topics.

So, if you're cooling out somewhere with a stack of scholarly articles about Hebrew typefaces under your desk, would you mind dropping me a friendly comment?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to continue the discourse or share an insight? Please comment.