03 November 2008

Karma Neighborhood Watch


I was walking around Riverwest yesterday afternoon and starting singing "Ooh, Child." (I'd heard the Beastie Boys' "Intergalactic" earlier.) I'm currently looking for a job, so I was singing to myself. It occurred to me, though, that I was singing to all of us. At this point in our political and economic history, we all need to believe things will get easier, brighter.

We need Obama to win. I, like many people, have been almost too afraid to hope! We've seen Republicans lie, cheat, and steal their way to two presidential elections in as many election cycles. It's their specialty by now. Why would they stop this year? If we hope in Obama, and--god forbid!!--we don't win, there seems nothing to do but tumble headlong into the abyss of despair and bitterness. But we have to hope. We have to be able to imagine the better world.

It is perhaps true that certain populations look on Barack Obama as if he were nothing less than a savior--in every sense of the word. That may or may not be a bit co-dependent, but I say to you there is nothing not revolutionary about a Black man as President of the United States. No one familiar with this country's history would suggest otherwise. Obama as President will not wipe out the pain of the country's unjust history by any means, but--by his very existence as a biracial man who is Black and white--we could begin to bring racism's affect on our past and present out into the open. We could talk about it, and, yea, begin to lay our heavy burdens down.

I sat writing this blog post waiting for the 5PM service to begin at the First Unitarian Society in Milwaukee. Imagine my surprise when I heard the sounds of a song from my last year of college being practiced by the pianist in the sanctuary. "Karma Police" just got me where I live. So, today and tomorrow, I'm going to be praying this prayer: Please, please, please, you've got to help us. Please help us. We're scared.

Photo from huffingtonpost.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to continue the discourse or share an insight? Please comment.