03 October 2008

A Prose Poem For Miss Natalie

Dear Miss Natalie,

I saw on your website how you are callin yourself "Alabama" now.
Too obvious to mention the legend that they started calling the playwright "Tennessee" in Iowa, isn't it?

Anyhow, I would dearly love to come visit you. I imagine we'd drink some sweet tea. Gone from hot to cold. And still ever so nice. Repair to the late afternoon and shade of a rocking chair.

Pick some stitches--or seed pearls with you. Knit one, purl two.

I'm feeling a bit sheepish since my mama's from Oklahoma. (Daddy from Texas.) But "Oklahoma" and "Alabama" have similar music--I think you'd agree. Though, for sure,"Oklahoma" is the less attractive younger sister to beauty pageant winner "Alabama" in a sparkly red dress. And, oh, you all do have the sour music and glamour of Zelda...and Tallulah. And, well, not feeling inadequate at all, but also Harper Lee. And, um, that friend of hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to continue the discourse or share an insight? Please comment.