17 May 2006

Blouse; Godet; Dirndl; Sash...Whatever

Things are pretty busy for me. The AFTA convention is in about two weeks. I usually deal with the inevitability of events with calm, finely-honed denial. Lots of things are happening.
But I am trying to think of a name for a fashion maga/zine. So far, I haven't had anything that just grabbed me in such a way that I knew it was just right. I've been thinking about this for a week or so. Yeesh.
Last week I was looking at PAPER magazine's website. I started reading it when I lived in New York ever so long ago. A boy I was in school with got me started. I forget his name. I do remember that he's bisexual and I that I treated him really awfully. I was 23; so, it goes without saying that I was quite stupid. I've been sorry about it for years and wish I could tell him. It is my karmic burden. So, I have him to thank for the joys of reading Mr. Mickey's column. Well, look at that! There's the last copy of PAPER I bought sitting on my desk at work. It's the FASHION LEGENDS issue. But, on to Mr. Mickey. He is awesome. I love his outré fashion advice. What a jokester Mr. Mickey is! He's friends with Michael Musto, whose Voice column I love. And Mr. Mickey is a vegetarian. He couldn't be anything but loads of fun--so, if Mr. Mickey is ever in Milwaukee, he must give me a call!
So, I was getting some online Mr. Mickey love; sadly, Mr. Mickey's blog is not about schmashion, but rather flibbertigibbet topics like royals and Broadway. Sort of not my cup of tea. PAPER editor/publisher Kim Hastreiter does the Fashion Schmashion blog. I was reading along when I came upon a post about Robin Givhan of the Washington Post. Well, it seems she wrote up a Pulitzer. You know where this is going, right? She's the Post's fashion editor. So, I was like, Holy crap. It can be done. Oh, yeh, and she's Black, too. Needless to say, I became quite light-headed. So, I started dreaming up names for my fashion magazine in embryo...

www.papermag.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to continue the discourse or share an insight? Please comment.