23 April 2006

Not a Shop Hound

My weekend started on Thursday. I don't usually go out. A group of us from PA went to Elsa's and then to Mantra. Do not sleep: Kenya, Tyanna and Tish are fucking hilarious. We all had a good time eating yummy food and showing out. Then we went to Mantra, where my expectations went unfulfilled. I had thought they always had good djs. Maybe the music sucked because it was ladies' night or whatever.
Friday night I went to LuLu for my neighbor's birthday cele. I bought Megan really adorable stationary at Broad Vocabulary, then settled in and talked to boys and drank a Shirley Temple. When I remembered it was Gallery Night, I sauntered over to Paper Boat--birthday hat and all--and chatted with Faythe Levine. I cut that evening short because I knew I had river clean-up at 9AM the next morning. No Highbury for me.
After the cleanup, post-barbecue, I went shopping for sneakers. Not that I'm some shop hound that buys something every week or something. I stopped at the skate shop on the same side of Farwell as the Oriental. They don't sell women's sizes, which sucks my left one. So, I went across the street to Envy and got the sneakers I had been eyeing. I cannot wait to unleash them on everyone. I think I'll wear them to work with fishnets and a skirt. I decided to got to MODA 3 to look for bags because I found Envy's selection uninspired.
I didn't buy a bag at MODA 3. I did buy 2 tops because I never have enough. I held out on the bag because I bought a light blue one last week at Borders that has garnered compliments on two separate occasions this weekend. The thing about bags is that you can never have enough of them. That's the problem. The same thing with jackets! I didn't realize how picky I was about hoodies until yesterday. The last hoodie I bought was this vintage violet Adidas one with grey trim that I bought at a second-hand store in Brooklyn in 2002. It was the hoodie of hoodies. It was the perfect size and color, and the hood had just the right amount of floppiness. Fuck, I miss that jacket. There's the cut and fit to consider--that's the hardest part of hoodies to get right, I think. And then the whole factor of logos or writing; the line between cool and sycophantic is sometimes very slippery. And I have plenty of jackets!
I think pants also fit into the never enough category. I love pants. I don't really like wearing skirts or dresses. About jeans: I do not place jeans in the never enough category. I don't think an adult ever needs more than 3 (three) pairs of jeans at any one time. More than that is overkill. I think this comes from the part of me that likes the idea of a uniform. European friends have proven the 3-pair maxim is the way to go.
Today I went to Atomic and bought Cocorosie's latest cd. I haven't gotten all the way through it. It sounds like something induced by a fever dream. I also picked up Standing in the Way of Control. It's great. Their new drummer Hannah is awesome. I also think Brace is way underrated as a guitarist. He's quite good. And Beth Ditto is so pretty. Oh, and her voice is fucking amazing! To me, they sound very much like a Southern band. But then, I'm from the part of Kansas that borders Arkansas and I almost went to school in Searcy. "Keeping You Alive" is totally rocking my life this minute. Let it rock yours, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to continue the discourse or share an insight? Please comment.