26 March 2006

Style Icon, Pt. 3


Ah, Björk. Click on her name at left to brighten your day! After I bought her Greatest Hits, I realized most of Björk's songs are about love. "Pagan Poetry" is the most emotional song about loving another person I've ever heard. When Vespertine came out in 2002, I immediately loved "Pagan Poetry," but sort of couldn't deal with the voices and musicboxes. I'm ready for it now--so any day I'll be able to handle Medúlla. I really like the imagery she creates in "Hidden Place":

He's
the beautifullest
fragilest
still strong
dark and divine
and the littleness of his movements
hides himself

He invents a charm
that makes him invisible
hides in the hair

Can I hide there too?
hide in the hair of him...*

Björk's music is about being out in the world having adventures and experiences and emotions. She is brilliant. Her voice gives me chills. I love the back-of-the-throat trills she inserts where necessary--like she just couldn't contain herself and the feeling had to get out.
She is unashamed to be herself and do what she wants to do. People who had hissy fits over her Marjan Pejoski dress--you know, the swan--can suck it. That was completely original. Björk wears designers like As Four, Matthew Williamson, Alexander McQueen and Sophia Kokosalaki. Pretty different from the ever-present Chanel and Prada that famous people usually swath themselves in.
I love that Björk presents herself differently. Really, it's the visual equivalent of her music:

"The reason I do photographs is to help people understand my music, so it's very important that I am the same, emotionally, in the photographs as in the music. Most people's eyes are much better developed than their ears. If they see a certain emotion in the photograph, then they'll understand the music."*


*Info from
www.bjork.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to continue the discourse or share an insight? Please comment.