22 January 2006

Soup Brothers

This past week I went to Soup Brothers in Walker's Point for a meeting. It was the second time I'd been there. Soup Brothers has heaps style. The guy who takes your order--whose name I didn't get a chance to get--is friendly. Their dishes are an assortment that look like they've been culled from years of savvy thrifting/estate sale-going. The bathroom is decorated with phones and call-related paraphenelia. The place is pretty small, with a huge main table bearing a display/installation of random objects like dried or fake flowers and the Dum Dum lollipops banks used to give out to kids in the 1970s and '80s. The linoleum is "delightfully" worn and the light fixtures are gorgeous. Random stuff graces the other tables--including the Answer Me Jesus doll at the table where I sat. I can't stop thinking about this place. It has oceans of style. It's a style palace. I would say it's like something you'd see in New York's East Village, but it's not. It's its own kind of place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to continue the discourse or share an insight? Please comment.